What you can say to a survivor
Remember: The batterer is the one who has the problem. It is not the victim’s responsibility to stop the violence. You can say:
- I am very sorry that this is happening to you.
- I believe you.
- No one deserves to be abused.
- It is not your fault!
- I am concerned about your safety.
- Give them information about services, such as Women Helping Battered Women.
- Listen to them and emphasize their strengths as a survivor.
- Call WHBW’s hotline in order to get support and information for yourself as a friend.
- Do not expect a quick and easy remedy. Domestic violence is a complex issue.